The contract awarded to JSM was to deliver a full turnkey solution for the design, supply, civils works, cable installation, jointing, termination and testing of a 132kV underground cable between the Barnstaple substation and Fullabrook Windfarm.
JSM as Principal Contractor undertook all aspects of this design and installation works which totalled 8km in length and included a number of high profile directional drills for the sections across a river, railway and major road including a 450m section over the Taw Bridge where tray work was installed to facilitate the cables.
JSM’s primary contract and delivery responsibilities were to:
- Ensure compliance with all Health, Safety & environmental legislation and requirements
- As Principal Contractor for the project ensured full CDM compliance and the management of supply chain and subcontractors
- Provide a full cable design for a 132kV cable system including negotiating and dealing with wayleave agreements, the Environment Agency and Network Rail for all open cut, HDD works and Structures
- Co-ordinate and deliver the project within the programme and budget
- Plan and liaise with stakeholders
- Risk management
- Temporary works design
- Draw off, securely store and utilise all contractor supplied materials in a timely manner
- Produce and manage all drawings and records.
Interface management of other third parties such as Local Authorities, Police, residents, business owners was managed throughout the contract via a series of weekly meetings. Letter drops to local residents was undertaken in advance of the works.
JSM using a specialist HDD contractor successfully completed an UTX where Network Rail reported that rail movement of only -1 to -2mm had been detected throughout the works, which, taking into account the normal EDM and rail temperature fluctuations, indicated an extremely successful and professional completion.